Is Politics Relevant to Your Future on Planet Earth?
Australia has just terminated Kevin Rudd as it’s prime minister and replaced him with Julia Gillard as Australia’s first ever female prime minister, but what relevance does that event really have?
“Whether it is to be Utopia or Oblivion will be a touch-and-go relay race right up to final moment. The race is between a better informed, hopefully inspired young world versus a running scared, misinformedly brain-conditioned, older world. Humanity is in “final exam” as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in Universe as mind, with the latter’s access to the design laws —called by science “the generalized principles” —governing eternally regenerative Universe.”
“Human minds have a unique cosmic function not identifiable with any other phenomenon—the capability to act as local Universe information-harvesters and local problem solvers in support of the integrity of eternally regenerative Universe.” — R Buckminster Fuller, xxxvi Introduction to Critical Path, c1981.
According to R Buckminster Fuller, considered by many as one of the most important humans of the twentieth century (c1895 – 1983) politics would be irrelevant by the year 2,000AD. Fuller made some fifty predictions throughout his lifetime, and this was one of only two that did not come true.
There have been many assertions that politics and ‘big business’ are one in the same, that they work together for mutual gain. In Australia we have seen a number of Prime Ministers take a ‘stand’ on issues that they believed were in the interest of the country, like taxation reform, health care, a resources tax and others … and do that at their peril.
Invariably the “power brokers” have their way and often one persons political career is ended.
These people of integrity cannot back down, or take a side step. It is not in their making and we have seen that today in Australia as the prime ‘ministership’ changed hands.
What alternative do we have to a political machine?
What Fuller refers to in the Introduction to his book “Critical Path” c1981 is that the young generation are better informed, and many are in touch with the truth … the issues that they feel deep inside that no amount of money, fast cars or flashy houses can erode.
The young now know that:
1. Oil is much better used in the manufacture of carbon fiber materials than burning it to produce pollution.
2. Solar, wind and other renewable energy sources are provided to us free of charge, and it is so abundant that there is no longer any need to limit it’s use. There is an abundance of energy available to us.
3. A person living in West Africa, in Nepal, in the Ukraine and everywhere on our planet has the same rite to enjoy everything that our beautiful planet produces.
4. Technology can do almost anything we imagine … and we can imagine an amazing future!
Buckminster Fuller knew that in 1971 there were 4.7 billion potential billionaires on planet Earth waiting to realize their good fortune.
The “running scared, misinformedly brain-conditioned, older world” are not going to help the ‘young’ realize their potential billionaire lifetyle, because they believe there isn’t enough for you and me, they don’t see it yet, and many will not see it in their lifetime. As Fuller says, they are misinformed.
As individuals take responsibility, as we get in touch with our ‘mind’ (some say heart) rather than trying to figure it out with our brain, we will ‘correct’ our ship’s course and will very very quickly realize the billionaire lifestyle Bucky Fuller could so clearly see is waiting for us.
You may be saying “what rubbish, will never happen in my lifetime” … and that may be true, for the misinformed.
Politics only remains relevant while we remain misinformed …
Consider a couple of issues that were relevant in 1970’s and are still relevant today, some even more so.
* First, and most importantly we are living on one very small planet, that one hundred years ago took six months or more to circumnavigate and today is easily accomplished in a matter of hours. Change is normal, and is accelerating.
* Nations (ie a group of distinct people who live in one place) have been replaced by multi-cultural communities from all places around the globe.
* Technology has the potential to create a billionaires’ lifestyle for every person on planet Earth and to do so within as short a time as ten years. There is no scarcity crisis on our planet, but there is a “crisis of ignorance”.
* Given that there is no scarcity and there are no Nations any more, country borders have become irrelevant. Eliminating borders will allow the free flow of energies including the vast recyclable resources that we known as pollution.
I’m clear that when Buckminster Fuller referred to the “young” he was referring to the ‘young of mind’, and when you see Nelson Mandela dance and sing you know that to be true. He fought for freedom for his African people, and we can equally stand for freedom for everyone.